Using WordPress as a CMS
- Rapid Development
- Reusable Code
- Thesis for simple stuff, Genesis for more complex sites.
- In Thesis, custom loops are bad.
- Custom taxonomies and BuddyPress would great with Genesis.
- Core theme and child themes – Core can update function without messing with child theme’s form.
Custom Post Types
- Job Listings, Products, Portfolio Items
- Create Post Type themes for each different type.
- Custom taxonomies can refine where contain is and should be located.
- Useful, but often overused.
- Use only where content should repeat on all pages.
Multiple Content Areas
- WordPress is limited to one content area.
- Can retool unused header tags to force content into new div.